Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Five Down, Three to Go!!

WOOHOO!! Past the halfway point!! It's all down hill from here baby!! So far I am feeling ok--but can I tell ya, it was a LONG day! John went with me, since this was a new medicine he wanted to be there in case I had a bad reaction. The nurse had actually said it was a good idea to have someone there until I saw how I reacted to the Benadryl. She said I may be too tired to drive! But more on the Benadryl later!

We got there at 8:30, did the blood pressure, temp., weight, and drew blood. Back out to the waiting room.
9:40ish, went in to see the dr. then back to the chemo area.
About 10:05 started the pre meds-Decadron, Benadryl, Aloxi (anit-nausea) and Pepcid.
11:20 started Taxol (3 hr drip!!)
2:20 started Herceptin (so we thought!) nurse actually started someone else's bag-cytoxan (the C in AC)!!! Only 25 ml--Thank goodness!!
2:30 started Hercpetin--for real this time! (One and a half hour drip!!)
4:00-DONE!

Now the Benadryl--The nurse had said it will make you sleepy and boy, she was not kidding!! Within 5 minutes of taking it, I felt loopy! And cold--a sure sign that you are getting tired! For me anyway! I had been reading when they started the drip, and actually thought I might finish the book today. Then all of the sudden, I am reading the same sentence over and over, and still not understanding what I read. So I laid back and closed my eyes. I don't think I really fell asleep, I could still hear everything that was going on. The only time I actually slept I think was when John went to the cafeteria for lunch. (I had packed a lunch, and he brought me back some pudding!) By the time we left, I was a little tired, but definitely able to function! Good thing to, I had to take Haley to gymnastics tonight. (She hurt her hand and I needed to talk to her coach.) Then back to pick up her, and dinner. This whole time I was kind of tired. After we ate, I seemed to wake up--of course!! I was so tired earlier that I didn't think I would stay awake to watch LOST (love it!!), now, here I am. Not sure if the food woke me up, or the steroids have really kicked in.

When I go in two weeks, I think I will bring one of the girl's dvd player. Maybe I will watch the old episodes of LOST and see what I missed the first time!

This medicine isn't supposed to make me as nauseous --fingers crossed! I asked if I should still take the anti-nausea meds and the steroids. The dr said to try cutting back from 3 days after to 2, if that is ok-then 1 and see how that goes, then cut them out all together if I feel comfortable with that. If you read this blog with an regularity, you know I hate taking pills! SOOO I think I will try taking them tomorrow and that is it. Then, if that works, next time not take them.

On a completely different note, I had to go to the office yesterday to take my continuing education test to be able to keep my license. It was easy. One hundred T/F questions. So, if I missed a few, I'll still be fine.

After that was the New Lenox luncheon--to update us on all that is happening in NL. It was pretty much the same stuff we had already heard about, or that had been in the paper. The service at House of Hughes was pretty bad too, I must say. Of course they only had about 2 waitresses working with 80 people!! And it was free for us, so I guess you just deal with that!

Well, I am off to try and get myself to fall asleep!!

0 comments: