Monday, January 21, 2008

Saturday...

This past Saturday was the one year mark from my mastectomy. What a completely sucky day that was. I remember it like it was yesterday. I don't wish that on anyone. I have had a bit of a time not focusing on that. Kind of hard when I am still healing from a procedure to get my breasts back!

Kind of wondering why I got the nips done. I have to wear a bra now as it looks like I am cold all of the time! LOL. I am told they will shrink up considerably. This from other women that have had it done. I forgot to ask the dr how much they will shrink. They are not perfect-one seems skinnier than the other. Again-may not be a big deal when they shrink up. John thinks they are too high, I keep trying to explain that that is where perky nips are supposed to be. Curious to see how all of this turns out. I did ask her about possibly pulling them in closer (the foobs--not the nips). She said that can be done. She said to think about it as they look natural now. I explained that I don't really care if they look fake. Kind of wanted them to. I will think about it though--I mean-do I want another surgery? I figure I will go through the summer and see how I feel about them, then decide. I want them to look good in a tank top-without a bra. She did tell me I heal fast and that I make her job too easy. Hey, anything I can do to help! I was having a reaction to some of the tape she used. It was clear-a big patch, I was getting blisters and it was itching. I called her Wednesday about it (day before my appt) and she told me to take it off. Some skin came with it. She said the next day it looked like a type of burn, not an allergic reaction. She put the tape on while I was lying down, being up-the weight of the foobs was pulling on it, causing the burn.

Friday I met Trish for lunch. She has the same onc as me. We have emailed back and forth for awhile and finally managed to meet on Friday. I think we could have talked all day if we both didn't have other obligations. She is a lot like me, on several issues. She is funny and an extremely strong lady.

I have some online friends that need your thoughts and prayers right now. Danica really has no family supporting her. She has just found out that she has chemo induced leukemia. Doesn't that just beat all. She beats this f'ing disease-but the chemo she used to do so has caused her to have leukemia. She is understandably having a tough time with this. But she is a fighter and has 3 kids I know she will fight to stay around for. My friend Jen (one of our Chicago ladies, and a fellow Bon Jovi fan) found out in December that she has mets to the liver,lung, spleen and ovary. She is past the initial shock and is in fight mode now. And Courtney (another Chicago gal) is a mere 22. Originally dx'd at the age of 20, she has mets to her bones and they are checking her spinal fluid for possible cancer, as well she may have brain mets. This just completely sucks beyond words. In the picture from our lunch in Greek Town, Jen and Courtney are in the back row, both with blue on. Jen on the right side, Courtney the second in on the left.

0 comments: