Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Training...

This past weekend I made the trip to Indianapolis for Point of Contact Training for the YSC . This is training to learn how to take phone calls from ladies that contact the YSC. Haley had asked "why does it take two days to learn how to take a phone call". I have to admit I was wondering the same thing. But there is actually a lot to this learning to listen. How to word things, and making sure that you give just enough information about you that you connect with the caller, but not so much that you take over the phone call.
The training was run by a couple of wonderful ladies-Christine Benjamin and Pasha Hogan. I must admit, Christine intimidated me a little at first, although I quickly got over that. Pasha I was immediately comfortable with-she seems to share many thoughts/ ideas that I have.
Unfortunately there was a lot of role playing. This I don't like at all. I understand the idea behind it. It does help some I guess. However, it is completely different than a real call. For one thing, you aren't at home in a comfortable environment (which they did say also). For another, you have distractions and people listening to you. And lastly, even though I had just met these women Saturday-I still had a sense of them. Where when I make one of these calls, the other person will be a completely blank slate.
I went down Friday night. Earlier than originally intended. I was wanting to get there before it snowed too much. The ride down was great. Went by faster than expected. Of course the 70mph speed limit helped that! Then about 20 miles out (and 2 minutes after John had called) I hit the snow. It was snowing pretty hard and blowing. I had a hard time finding the hotel --they didn't have a big sign like I thought they would. I also was paying attention to all the drivers around me. When I finally got there I was so glad. And I have to say I was impressed. At the advice of the Indy ladies, I pricelined the hotel. I had never done this before. I didn't like the idea of not knowing which hotel it was, and you can't cancel once it is set. But, any hotel I checked into was $100 a night and you lost the first night if you cancelled, so I gave it a try. Per their advice, I put in three star-and the area, my price was $35 a night. It rejected that and said I had to go up at least $9 to try again. So I did. I got the room for $44 a night. $108 total-tax and everything. I was pretty happy about that. It would be staying at the DoubleTree. Then I get there and it is a two room suite (living room, bed room). Very nice room. I will definitely be using Priceline again.
There was another lady from the Chicago area going. Her name is Laura. Haley keeps calling her Laura from Auroura. We stayed separate Friday night, but shared a room on Saturday. We got along great, very comfortable with each other.
The Indy ladies hosting the training were great. Everything was wonderful. You know when you go to an area where they all know each other, you are worried if they will accept you or if you will feel like an outsider. No problem with this what so ever. I am hoping to keep in touch with these ladies and possibly go to a couple of their events.
Sunday I was starting to get a migraine. I took the new medicine the dr prescribed, and thankfully it worked. (Thankfully I remembered to put some in my purse too!) I wish I could do away with these migraines altogether.
Alex from the YSC was also there. She is the one who will be matching the caller with a volunteer. She is soooo sweet. She had a baby post bc and he was there with her-man is he a cutie!! The biggest eyes!!
This weekend--no travel plans. The girls and I are going to a few high school musicals. Braidwood and Wilmington always do it on the same weekend. Braidwood is doing "Once Upon a Mattress" and Wilmington "Jekyll and Hyde". No travel plans though. It was a nice break, but I like to be home.

0 comments: