Saturday, March 15, 2008

Robin Watch....

It is that time of year again, time to start looking for robins, and hoping Spring isn't far behind. Last year I saw the first robin on March 6th. This year was a little later, March 13th. This has been one long, cold winter. I will be so glad when it is gone.
I have been watching for the robins for awhile now, hoping for the end of this winter. Nothing. Dad had 12 in his yard the first weekend in March. While in Indy I saw one on the bush as I was walking out to brush snow off the car. (These don't count, as they weren't in my yard.) But nothing here. Then as I was cleaning house Thursday, I happened to glance out the window and there he was, in our front yard. Since of course, I have seen several more. YEAH!!!!

On another note, I had my appt with the cardiologist yesterday. I went in prepared for her to yell at me for not doing more to lose weight. I was wrong. She mentioned the 5 lbs I did lose, then told me that it is not unusual for breast cancer patients to gain weight. She asked if we talked about exercise last time. I told her that we did. She told me that when I do start working out, I will not build muscle as fast as I used to. Another lovely gift of cancer--in particular the adraimycin I had during chemo. This can stay in your body for 2 years. And is in every part of my body. Lovely! I asked her if that could lead to fatigue--she said yes, definitely. Another thing that can lead to the fatigue is the leaky valve in my heart. (By the way, my heart looked the same, it hasn't gotten worse, and she is confident that this will reverse itself once I am finished with the herceptin.) Cancer, the gift that keeps on giving--NOT! Thanks alot! She said that for her, she felt about 85% back to normal about 6 months after finishing the herceptin. One year later, she was back to her former self. So, Next April I will be back to my former self (will I recognize me?? LOL). In Oct. hopefully I will be close. Something to look forward to. Of course, she doesn't talk about this stuff at the one appt that John went to. Then she had to talk about weight and exercise, and what I should be doing in those areas to avoid a recurrence.
We also talked about ports. I want mine out ASAP after the last herceptin. The chemo nurses had said Dr. S likes to keep them in for 6 months to a year usually. No freakin way. I hate this thing, it will have served it's purpose--out it goes. It is tipping sideways, uncomfortable at times, and getting a little harder to access. IF I ever need one again (and I am going on the thought that I won't) then, they can put it back in. This one would probably be flipped around backwards by then. It also pinches my nerves at times. It needs to come out. Dr. B (cardiologist) said she got hers out right away. And understands where I am coming from. She felt how it is tipping too.

Still have a few surgeries in my future. I have to get these ovaries out. Of course, first I have to find a new ob/gyn. Then I do believe I am going to have the other Dr. S (plastic surgeon) fix my boobs. She did a great job at making them look natural. Problem is, that I don't want them to look natural. She had said if I decided to get them fixed she could probably just tighten up the pocket. I really want to do that. After all I had to go through, I want good boobs. Ones I don't have to wear a bra with. I feel like I have to now. The tanks with the built in bras, I don't think I will be happy with the way they look on this summer. I am going to wait until Fall though. I don't want to miss out on any swimming time this year. I also have to get this port out. I don't know if that is counted as a surgery though, as I have heard that it can be done in the office.
The fun never ends!

0 comments: