Monday, August 18, 2008

Courtney

Saturday I had some training in Chicago for the Network of Strength (aka Y-ME). I was the only one that showed up. So very one on one training! It is not exactly what I thought it was going to be. I thought it was for the health fairs--where you have a booth, pass out information, and talk to people that way. NO. It is to stand up in front of a room of people and talk to them. Not totally happy with this, but I guess I'll give it a try. I'm not as freaked out at the moment as I thought I would be. But of course that will change once something is set up.

I am hoping to get them going on doing something with younger survivors. Since the YSC has dropped the ball on this. I guess they figure since Chicago has Y-ME (I hate the new name) that they aren't needed. Not true. Maybe the two organizations can work together??

After that I went to see Courtney. She was still in ICU, but was being moved back to a regular room later that day. She has responded well to the new pain meds-that is wonderful! She was obviously tired-but didn't seem to be in as much pain as Tracey had mentioned her being in before. Again, Great News!! I had given her some wigs the last time I had seen her, she was due to start chemo again. She had since found out that the type of chemo she will have, she will not lose her hair. She said she liked the long curly wig though--we told her that she could always wear the wig anyway!!

Tracey has been by Courtney's side since last Tuesday. Thank god she has her!! She has been the one dealing with the doctors since her family isn't there. It would have been way too much for Courtney to deal with by herself. I really don't understand her mom. I met her back in December, I would never thought she would be like this. She was due to come today. If that was my daughter, you would not have gotten me out of that room. I guess I just don't understand. And probably never will, since this is not the way I think. She lives in Fort Wayne, IN. not all that far away. A group of about 9 friends and one of their mothers come to see Courtney Saturday-but her mom isn't there yet. Go figure.

Last week the drs had given Courtney 2 weeks to 2 months-a time line she didn't want to know. Saturday Tracey told me that since she is responding so well to the pain meds they have upgraded that to months. Obviously great news. Still hoping for a miracle in there. Hoping also that all of that time isn't spent in the hospital or hospice-that she gets to get out and enjoy herself at least a little bit. She does know the time line now--her dad did not respect her wishes and told her. (again--don't understand the thinking).

0 comments: